“Poetry” - we revisit poetry almost every year here at BYOB, hoping to diversify our readings and inject some beauty and emotion into our lives. Today's meet was a much-needed pause amidst all the bad news we've been getting. Hope everyone is staying as safe as possible!
The books/poets/poems we talked about today, in no particular order:
- Kala Ghoda Poems by Arun Kolatkar (This book seems to be out of print, but here are his Collected Poems)
- The Spice Box Of Earth by Leonard Cohen (seems to be out of print but you can start with Book of Longing)
Some other things we briefly touched upon:
- The Pillow Book by Sei Shonagon, in context of Zuihitsu - a genre of Japanese literature consisting of loosely connected personal essays and fragmented ideas that typically respond to the author's surroundings.
- This article on Mani Kaul
- Audre Lorde
- Vikram Seth
- Margaret Atwood
- Rajashree's list: http://www.ayearofbeinghere.com/ , The Staying Alive Trilogy, Poems that make grown men cry, Poems that make grown women cry, Poetry Pharmacy, Poetry Pharmacy Returns, A Book of Luminous Things
- https://poets.org/ has a poem-a-day newsletter
- https://www.poetryfoundation.org/newsletter also has a "Poem of the day " newsletter. They also have a podcast - "Audio Poem of the Day".
- Leaves of Grass by Walt Whitman and his other poems which appear in Loss by Siddharth Dhanvant Shanghvi
- Gulzar's Kitabein - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tEBHmsx2Pjw
- Ogden Nash
- Look Mom I'm a Poet (and So Is My Cat) by Andrew Shaffer
- Dog Songs by Mary Oliver
- Home Body by Rupi Kaur
Thank you so much to Prakash and Rajashree for reading to us your poems! <3
It was great to see all the old faces and meet the news ones from NCR, Assam, Karnataka and Telangana and elsewhere. Hope to see you all at future meets!
Stay safe and read more poetry!